Friday, July 27, 2012

Spotlight on Author Karen Hoover

For episode 13, Sweet Peas in a Writer Podcast spotlights Karen Hoover and her fantasy novel, Two Souls Are Better Than One. Listen - and discover this delightful author and her motivation for reading and writing, as we read her biography and an excerpt from Two Souls Are Better Than One.





Karen E. Hoover has loved the written word for as long as she can remember. Her favorite memory of her dad is the time he spent with Karen on his lap, telling her stories for hours on end. Her dad promised he would have Karen reading on her own by the time she was four years old … and he very nearly did. Karen took the gift of words her dad gave her and ran with it. Since then, she’s written two novels and reams of poetry. Her head is fairly popping with ideas, so she plans to write until she’s ninety-four or maybe even a hundred and four.

One of the things we loved about Karen’s biography was that after her father passed away, she rejected reading because it was too painful to be reminded of her father. In her words: “Books reminded me of my father and that hurt, so I avoided them. When they were placing kids in their individual reading groups, they put me in the lowest one and I scraped by. One day, my mom pulled me aside at home when I expressed my displeasure at having to read, and she reminded me of all those times Daddy would read to me after working such a long day. She reminded me about how much he loved the written word and how badly he had wanted me to be a good reader. She also told me that if I could learn to read and read well, that it was like I was keeping a piece of him alive in me. That struck home more than anything else did, and from that moment on, I threw myself into reading. Within a month I had gone from the lowest reading level to the highest and I haven't looked back since.”


Inspiration is found everywhere, but Karen’s heart is fueled by her husband and two sons, the Rocky Mountains, her chronic addiction to pens and paper, and the smell of her laser printer in the morning.


Other awesome books by Karen Hoover:



To purchase Karen Hoover's books in paperback, Kindle or Nook visit Amazon or your local bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment